I won't lie to you - I've come to hate "top-whatever" lists. Well, maybe 'hate' is too strong a word. But from a legitimate critical standpoint, they're useless, mostly becuase they're so brazenly subjective. (As an, even-to-me-inexplicably-random-act, I've made this a TOP-18 rather than a TOP-10...some sort of mini-rebellion against tradition, I suppose...) (it's also technically a TOP-22, but who's counting?)
"This artist is better than this artist, by one ranking position..."
But then - why stress? I just like seeing (and hearing about) what everyone else has been listening to this year... It provides some sort of inspiring snapshot, a montage, a cultural collage that makes up a grand interaction of tastes...
But, I've already decided not to ramble any longer..., just to simply "list..." everything. Besides, it would probably be best for you to simply go to their myspace, or just listen to someone else tell you why I'm wrong...
Or, write me...tell me what your lists are - I'd love to see them - we'll talk about music!
thanks for reading!!!
as the Yeasayer lyric goes...
"It's a new year, I'm glad to be here..."
more music writing soon...
the list..........Milo's deep cutz top 18 of 2008
18. Terrible Twos - S/T <-/-> Alan Scheurman - Old Patterns
17. Prussia - Dear Emily, Best Wishes, Molly
16. Blitzen Trapper - Furr
15. The Death Set - Worldwide
14. Oscillating Fan Club - Feverish Dreams As Told By.../ Dirtbombs - We Have You Surrounded
13. The Walkmen - You And Me
12. Mason Proper - Olly Oxen Free <-/-> Pas/Cal - I Was Raised...
11. Quinn Walker - Laughter's An Asshole/Lion Land
10. Tobacco - Fucked Up Friends
9. Edie Sedgwick - Things Are Getting Sinister and Sinisterer
8. The Oh Sees - The Master's Bedroom...
7. Why? - Alopecia
6. Deerhunter - Microcastle
5. The Kills - Midnight Boom
4. Bonnie "Prince" Billy
3. The Silent Years - The Globe <-/-> Child Bite - Fantastic Gusts of Blood
2. Future Islands - Wave Like Home
1. Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago (re-issued, Feb. 2008)
"i.....know that it's true....it's going to be a good year...."