Friday, March 11, 2011

One-Thousand.... (+Apr 13 show + Dale Earnhadrt Jr Jr)

Thanks for visiting... read the rant if you like...
To soundtrack this post, here's Detroit's Dale Earnhardt Jr Jr's debut single from their forthcoming LP It's a Corporate World (June 7 on Quite Scientific) - They're currently touring down to SXSW with Tapes N Tapes...





Morning Thought by Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.


So then...



I'm probably making this bigger than it has to be - so I'm struggling to get it started... the one thousandth post of this... bottomless digital chronicle known as Deep Cutz.

I'm completely blanking... Is this any kind of accomplishment? Should I be sweating it as much as I am? I feel like I'm on the front porch ready to kiss the girl of my dreams good night under a full blue moon and my voice is cracking, pimples, popping and I'm stepping on her shiny, red pleather open-toe shoes as I stammer, searching to cough out the properly momentous and profoundly succinct music lyric from the myriad of past musical favorites and my mind is blanking...


Every hundred or so posts I've asked myself when the last post would be... and, I can assure you, with what I have planned over the next three weeks, this one is far from the last... But, truth be told, inspiration to keep writing here is refreshed on an almost weekly basis; it could be the subtlest of gestures, a fleeting lyric belted out live and almost lost under piles of feedback, or the fire in someone's eyes as they emit their stories, their takes, their opinions, their plans, ...their hopes, to me, at the side of a bar or the side of a stage.

But - you come to a thousand and you wonder - are these grimy bars, these worn stages, these cacophonous liquor pooled caverns my natural habitat? Do I, as some sort of nervous nocturnal creature ever lose the survival skills needed to sustain in this niche... or do I ever, will I ever want to,...migrate away, to some more sensible environment?


And if all these words are just my own humble crickety chirp into the already cluttered soundscape of this world...or even just Detroit's music scene...then what has it meant, so far?

I've always called it a 'dialogue with music.' Not traditional reviews. Not traditional interviews. It came down to: What is the extent of music's potential as a writing stimulant?

What was written about here are things that moved me... I put headphones on, and quasi-ritualistically drowned myself in the sounds until I could perceive a work, an album, as a separate space to be in habited... and then I would write, essentially a communique from inside, a fly in the wall inside the room of the album. Instead of just name dropping other band's or saying something sounds just like another quickly/easily referenced band or style...I tried to detail the unique dimensions of each album's space...


...sonic architecture or something like that...


...or, just merely getting lost with one's head between the headphones... let your eyes roll back in some sort of Ouija-esque trance and let the songs in your ears possess your fingers at the keyboard...


But I have no intention to make this about me... I just wanted to stop at this point of the journey, sigh briefly and say: "huh."


I suppose this is as good a time as any to announce this show:















So...Mostly, I just want to say: -a great thanks- to anyone who's read this... and continues to do so. And especially, a thanks to contributors: Thomas Matich for his dozen or so works (and spectacular podcasts); Eric Allen and Phreddy Wischusen as well... Trever Long for his photos (as well as Lo-fi Bri and my bro, mike). Just thanks to anyone who's supported this blog...

















In seven years writing about the music scene in Detroit...and three years of doing this blog-thing... I can't remember a more energized populace of players and performers -
I'm excited and scared to see how and where Deep Cutz will transition into the ever-more-avalanching-ubiquity and advertisement-strewing-typhoons of this internet music world... but until I figure it out, I'm content to continue finding new alleys, new corners, new attics, basements and garages where in the next dynamic minds are tucked writing the next dynamic pieces of music to liven up the air in this ever expanding space...

...where it no longer feels like such a little room.

1 comment:

Steve Barman said...

Congrats! 1K is no small task! Can't wait to read the next grand!