Saturday, December 2, 2017

Listening Back on 20 Years of Detroit Music - Part 2 (of 4): Next Wave

Me, stealing a few spins from Dave Lawson during one of his Tuesdays In The Forest, circa 2011.
One of Dave's bands, The Pop Project, would have fit nicely on this list, but their tunes just aren't up on Spotify yet. 


It's been fun to put these playlists together. And I don't necessarily mean in a purely nostalgic sense. This is starting to feel like a true celebration. I mean, I'm not sure how you interpret my recreational cataloging of my favorite songs of the past 20 years of Detroit music, but for me, it's intended as nothing but a galactic sized head nod, or a fist in the air, or a 20-song-long applause!

As I said in a previous post, I've got 4 volumes of music that is just my own collection of songs I loved across the timelines of    1998-2008 (volumes 1 & 2) and then 2009-2017, (forthcoming).

Volume 1 was pretty garage heavy, though we did have some hip-hop on there. It roughly got together 1998-2003-ish era Detroit. Volume 2, meanwhile, shows a progression into more punk, more indie-pop, more electro, more emo, more dance... Lotta variety on this one: it roughly captures songs from 2003-2008. And there are a couple tunes from bands that hailed from the Ypsi/Ann Arbor area, but hey!!

It's also exciting to me to look back and see how many of these bands, like Child Bite, Beggars, Muggs, and The High Strung, are still kicking! But also, yes, nostalgic, to listen back to very interesting releases from bygone bands like Mason Proper, The Recital, Deastro!!...., and one of my favorite bands of all time: Lightning Love.

Also in that previous post, I acknowledged how vital of a year 1998 was for the contemporary scene..., causing a tremor that carried through the next five years and, as made evident by this playlist, wound up influencing a "next wave," as it were, a post-garage-rock era, if you will. That said, there's still some straggling entries on this one that might fit in with the first volume...

Nevertheless, I just hope you enjoy it. Remember that I can't be as comprehensive as I can because not everything  that I want to add is up on Spotify at the time of this post.  


Volumes 3 & 4 will be posted sometime next week




No comments: